Updated 22 January 2021
A COVID safe environment at FMS
Thank you for your support and ongoing attention to providing a COVID safe environment at FMS. Here’s what you need to know:
- Masks – staff and students will not be required to wear masks while at school. Staff and students may wear their own mask if they choose.
- Illness – your child must stay at home if they are sick with even mild COVID-19 symptoms and seek testing immediately. Please provide evidence of a negative result before your child returns to school. In circumstances where children have other medical reasons for recurrent symptoms, a letter from your GP is sufficient to negate the requirement for a negative test.
- Physical Distancing – at all times, please respect the need to physical distance from staff and parents
- Hygiene – handwashing and sanitising must continue
- Greetings – elbow to elbow not handshaking
- Drop off and pick-up arrangements – follow the same protocols as 2020. 3-6 families must walk around past the music room and not via the 6-9 area. New families will hear about these arrangements at their orientations.
- Onsite – parents are asked to avoid coming onto the campus unless the visit complies with the current school guidelines, such as volunteering in our gardens.
“I just wanted to take a moment to thank you and all the staff for working so hard, and in such good faith with us, the families of all the children at FMS, during these extraordinary times. I see the anxiety on most adult faces that I pass in the course of a day, and I’m sure that is shared by you all. But there is simply no hint of it in my children beyond what I would expect with so many small but necessary changes being made to school protocols. I take my hat off to you all for your courage and calmness.”
Talking with your Children
Here are some resources for guiding your children through these unprecedented times:
Forestville Montessori School Blog
Other useful Montessori resources: (permission granted by authors)
Montessori groups for parents:
The following parent groups are facilitated by Montessori teachers and Montessori teacher trainers.
Prospective families – meet our Principal
As Montessorians, we believe in the power of human connection and adaptation. In moments that feel unfamiliar, we thrive.
Forestville Montessori School committed to our students and families. To ensure the safety of our community, we may have to temporarily close our doors.
However, if we do, our community remains open in new, exciting ways.
For families who are interested in learning more about our school, please fill in our contact us form and we will be in touch to arrange a one-on-one discussion with our Principal, Denice Scala. During this conversation, we’ll learn more about you and your child(ren), and give you the full introduction to our school.
Topics we will cover include:
- What our classrooms look like (including class sizes and materials)
- Who makes up our wonderful, dedicated staff and how they build collaborative, long lasting meaningful relationships with your child (ren)
- A ‘day-in-the-life’ of our students – across all programs
- Our nurturing, child-centred community based on mutual respect
- How we support co-operation over competition
- Our focus on your child(ren), their inner drive, their desire to be independent
- Our very special parent community
You’ll have questions; we’ll have answers
After your conversation with Denice, you’ll have plenty of time to ask questions! No matter the circumstance, we want you to be as informed as possible before making a decision on your child’s future.